Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, October 16, 2006

Knitting, Gardening and Reading!

Today was a day of doing all three things. I finished reading 'Medea' by Euripides for my Great Books course. I have to be up on this reading, as I am the facilitator.

I have been delaying really starting to tidy up the garden for winter, but yesterday's rains made me think that I would rather do it now before the heavy rains come. I have well over 40 hostas, and you know they can get to be a real mess when they are soaked with rain - they came out and I made a nice big jug full of their leaves. I have some very large-leaf hostas, as you can see one hanging down the front of the jug.





I also picked some of the last roses of summer and cut back my red geraniums or pelargoniums to be exact. I will put the pelargoniums in the greenhouse for winter, but I always cut them back hard - I will get lots of growth in the spring. I only grow the geraniums in old canners - used to use them for dyeing wool for rug hooking!

I have had these particular red geraniums for many years and they have always given me great colour and never let me down!





I picked a few roses to enjoy in the house - just now I have lots of blooms in the house, but I try year round to have something in the way of flowers, even if it is only a few little violets from the garden. Flowers are good for the soul!






I have done a bit of knitting today as well. This is a 'somewhat' scarf - at least I think that is the title. I saw it on someone's blog when I was surfing, and I thought my Fleece Artist Silk Merino would look nice with this pattern. What do you think?



Now that I have managed to get the writing beside the appropriate picture - have been trying to figure that out for quite some time. I really want to put the Red Sweater KAL button on my sidebar. I did the others, but that was so long ago. If anyone who reads this blog knows how to do that, could you email me the answer to johnpegc@telus.net

4 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

The scarf is lovely. That pattern works very well with handpainted yarn.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

The scarf is incredibly pretty in that yarn, it's such lovely colours.

The flowers are beautiful.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I never did figure out button on Blogger and I haven't even put links on my new blog. Bad me. So I'm no help there!

Your Fleece Artist Silk Merino is quite pretty knit up in that pattern! I love your geraniums. We've got them all across the back yard but they've had a bit of a beating with the heat and the pine trees dying on them last summer.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

You had a very well rounded sort of day! I've been putting off the ripping up of my garden for winter, and it seems I've almost left it too late! Must get out there...

Love the scarf! :0)

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting