Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, October 13, 2006

Thank You for all the support from blogland!

Well, I cannot thank all of you enough for your kind words. Last night I felt sick and that is not putting it too strongly, but with a good night's sleep and some exercise, I have thought the problem out and here is my decision.

Tilia is taking a trip to the frog pond. All of you, like me, think she is a beautiful colour and one that I can use in my wardrobe! I will not be changing my hair colour - like our mothers were known to say, "Everything goes well with white!" She was right and Tilia does go well with my white hair! You see, you can find some good in all situations, no matter how bad you think they are - and last night I thought this one was pretty bad!

Tilia is not taking any hot baths! If the wool is itchy on me, shrinking it is not going to make it less itchy.

Tilia will turn into a beautiful cardigan. I have other sweaters that itch, but with a blouse and camisole underneath, no itchiness!

I loved the feel of the Silky Wool as I knit. I had wrapped it about my arms, no itch, but when I put Tilia on in all her glory, she was ITCHY!!

I think I might just knit her on smaller needles - she seems loose to me - it is not her morals am I speaking about here, just her behaviour when knitted up! I will, again, knit another gauge swatch and give it another go.

Will all this be done real soon - NO! Tilia and I need time to grieve for what might have been! Could this be what I was speaking about a few days ago - the reason we have lots of UFOs is because we cherish the potential and are not always ready to be disappointed and thrown into the frog pond! Gulp! Isn't it wonderful that I can swim?

I thought all this out this morning as I swam 64 lengths at the pool. I do count, but a lot of problem solving is done as I swim! I also water walked and ran for another 40 minutes, so Tilia had lots of thoughts of the possibilities of saving her and a cardigan is the best of all choices I think.

I have four more sweaters in the queue - actually make that five! I am currently knitting a lace cardigan in viscose and acrylic - now lest you get faint, viscose is made from wood fibre, so it is okay by me! Probably love it as I spent the first three winters of my life in a logging camp - my Mom was the cook and my Dad owned the logging business! Funny how things come back to us!

My next sweater on the needles will be a pullover from Sally Melville's Book 2 Purl Stitch I am knitting one pullover in Patons Katrina which is 92% Rayon and 8% polyester! Not an itch to be found here. I also plan to make maybe two of this pullover in the same yarn - short, loose and easily lengthened - one in a beautiful deep mauve and one in a grey/cream! Now the fourth sweater is in Rowan 39 book and will be a black cardigan knit with cotton rope by Rowan and the sweater is called Antoinette - again no itch, but I will watch my neck! The fifth sweater is from Sally Melville's first book Knit 1, which I had shown in an earlier post. I am knitting with a KAL from London Wul Farm! It will be in Patons Katrina in a beautiful sage colour! Somewhere in there, Tilia will become a cardigan - she is all part of the process, as Margene often says and I think this was a bit more process than I wanted, Margene, but I am pleased to say it was a lesson learned and not soon forgotten.

The lesson I learned you ask - be very careful knitting with wool for me - there are lots of other wonderful fibres to choose!

7 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

So glad to hear you've made a decision with regard to the sweater. I'm sure it will knit up into a very pretty cardigan!

I was up to London Wul about a month ago and bought some yarn and needles - spend more than I should have LOL. What a wonderful place that is, and I'm sure I'll be back again!

4:46 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I am very impressed with how gracefully you have accepted your disappointment.

I think I would have had a hissy fit. :-)

5:17 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

It'll make a wonderful cardigan. you could always take a generic pattern and still use the lace pattern from Tilia.

You sound like you're going to be awfully busy with all those sweaters.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh dear-I just read about Tilia-and now you know what is taking me so long with Big Blue-every time I finish it and try it on, it just wasn't right. My sympathies.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I always feel better when I make a decision. Its the wobbling that gets to me. Should I do this or that... As for the Columbus marathon, no, Dean Karnages is not going to be there but it seems like everyone else but me will be. The half-marathon is sold out with 3000 participants! Makes me feel left out. I'll just have to knit a lot.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I'm sure the yarn will make a lovely cardigan! Sorry to hear about the needed frogging, though. And I understand - I haven't had the heart to frog my first attempt at Sizzle yet. Sigh.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Crummy that you are having to frog. But coming from someone who HATES being itchy - I totally understand. That is my big problem with wool and 90% of sock yarns.

Good luck with the frog. Pick a day this week so we can get together and knit - I will bring you a yummy coffee to ease the pain! Can't wait to show you the kids hats I am working on. So sweet.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting