Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

No Pictures Today!

I did not want to show you Tilia sitting in the corner sulking. She has all her seams sewn, but the neck, oh the *&$^ neck! I had to pick up 144 stitches around the neck. There were some stitches already on stitch holders, but lots to be picked up along the sides and I got frustrated with counting. I knit one 'neck hem' - even stitched it down! Then I frogged it - then I picked up stitches again and was a bit more pleased, but you know when you have seven skeins of Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool in a sweater, it is heavy and the neck bears a lot of the weight!! She needs her hem stitched down again, but when I started to call her 'Tilia Elsebeth Lavold' I knew it was time for a bit of space. She will get her neck fixed - I did not want to 'worry' the body pieces by frogging the neck again - plus we were soon going to part company in more ways than one. She will become more appealing as we both move on from the past day of experience.

I had cast on the Sirdar lace sweater shown in an earlier post and that was not my best cast on ever. I find with lace that the first few rows are the most 'trying'. Once you have the lace pattern established, you have some reference points. After five cast ons - you don't want to know why so many - I think we are starting to enjoy each other's company. One of the frogging sessions was when I just got too impressed with my skills and thought - "Lifelines, who needs lifelines?" I was soon told in no uncertain terms, that I did, in fact, need lifelines. Oh well, who said knitting would always go smoothly.

If there is anyone out there who enjoys - yes truly ENJOYS - stitching up hand knitted garments, please raise your hand? I admire your fortitude, but I question your sanity! I do NOT like stitching up hand knit garments. I don't mind weaving in the odd end or two, but stitching up is not for me. I was mentioning this in my LYS today - neither one of the gals like it! Also, Tilia has her shoulder seams Kitchener stitched together. Now, this is not all that difficult, but you know how you have those jogs from casting off X number of stitches about three times across the shoulder seam. One of the gals at the LYS said that she knows a gal who does not do this on the shoulder seam, but she does weave the live stitches together and has a beautiful shoulder seam that fits perfectly. Weaving the stitches in the jogs was not making for a perfectly smooth seam. Now I heard someone say - frog the seam, take out the jogs and then weave the seam together again. I will drape a beautiful scarf over her shoulders before I do that!! Other Tilia knitters might keep this in mind. She is a beauty, but she is a trying madam at times!

As they say, what won't kill you will make you stronger! Does something like this applying with knitting, frogging, knitting, frogging, etc.?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Don't feel bad. I have been dreading that neck, but it will look pretty when done. I have sweaters that are all knit but I can't bring myself to seam them. That's one reason I started a blog. It will shame me into finishing. Everything looks better after a rest ;)

7:07 PM  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

I always love the sweaters I make....until I sew the first seam. After picking it out and re-doing it about 3 times, then I truly hate them! I'd knit everything in the round if the prospect of rows of over 200 stitches wasn't so daunting. An any case, though, I just know that Tilia will have a better attitude once she finishes her time out!

9:31 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Once I discovered mattress stitch I loved sewing up. I am fascinated by the way the sweater just zips up! Plus, I can get into a rythem and it just flys along! I've done so much kitchener stitch that I don't even mind that anymore. I can go on auto pilot.

I guess I'm saying, don't lose hope. With practice all things get better.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I don't actually mind the seaming - unless of course something goes terribly wrong. You are a very talented knitter (I have seen actual proof of this) and it will turn out just fine.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Oh, Peg! I'm sorry to hear of your relational difficulties with Tilia... I was so looking forward to seeing her in action! I must say, there's something about seaming I really like. It's soothing in a way, and I know that it's the end of the line, so reaching my goal seems very exciting. :0)

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting