Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tilia's Debut!

Here she is - do you think the knitter is happy? NO, NO, NO!!!



I knit my gauge swatch, it was okay. I chose the size that I thought best represented my bust size - I am 41" and I chose the 41 3/4" size L. Does she itch - you bet! Could I cry - you bet I could. I measured a sweater I wear that fits me perfectly in the arms - what happened, these arms are far too long!

Is she headed for the frog pond? Well, before that, she is going for a soak and other measures will be tried. I loved the feel of the yarn as I worked, but I am sitting here typing this, wearing Tilia, and I could just scratch all over!! Would she be better as a cardigan - probably. However, as I say - tonight she will be folded up and carefully put away. Tomorrow or some day soon, she is going for a soak and I will try her with my silk underwear top and if none of that works - she is off to the frog pond!!!

Just about now, I feel completely defeated by a silly sweater. This cannot be right, there are larger things in life to worry about, so I will try a few things, as I mentioned, and if they don't work, then it is on to something else.

Seems to me I was the one who said something about what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Would hate to have any of you read headlines about a knitter who died at the arms of a sweater that reached out of a tub and choked the said knitter!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Sidsel said...

Ohh,..but I think the sweather lokk soo nice on you..Nice color to you as well..Okey,the arms are a little bit to long..but not that long...or? It really fits you well,but I also know the "feeling" Did not look that close on the picture,but will it be to hard to losen up the arms again..and unravel a tiny bit? Hmm..anyway,want to wish you a nice day..All the best from Sidsel,Norway :o)
http://blogg.hobbyboden.com/sidsel/

2:14 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

That is just too bad. I know how it feels to put in all that hard work, to be excited, and worried and then to be disappointed. The sweater definetly looks too big on you.

Do you have a dear freind or relative whom it might fit? Christmas is coming and the sweater would make a most generous and gorgeous gift.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Well, Peg, I will say this, it is a beautiful sweater, absolutely beautiful,.. and it is too big for you, I'm crossing all fingers and toes, leaving something soft and wooly under my pillow for the Knitting Faerie, for whatever measures you take with Tilia to try and bring her round to size.
Yes, start something else then just sneak up on Tilia in a few days and put her through some paces.

4:57 AM  
Blogger gwtreece said...

I love the sweater. Maybe you should it send to your knitting neighbor in the States. Me. On a more serious note, I do hope that you are able to fix it.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

It is a lovely sweater but if you don't like it you'll never wear it. I did felt a sweater that was too big for me. It came out ok. Its on my blog. So if all else fails and you don't want to give it away you could try shrinking it (if you're brave)Maybe knit a swatch and see how it shrinks in hot water. Now I am even more nervous about my Tilia. Maybe one of my larger friends or relatives will be getting a lovely orange sweater for Christmas!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

It just so disheartening when that happens, isn't it. Unfortunately I've been there too.
I sincerely hope that your other measures will work.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

I do hope you can fix it to your liking. It's such a pretty sweater and the colour is perfect for you.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

*groan* This is very sad news. Tilia is a wonderful colour on you, I'm sorry to hear this. I hope after the soak, you are more pleased with it.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I'm sorry to hear your sweater didn't turn out as planned. I hate when that sort of thing happens. Hopefully soaking it or something will work! If not, maybe you could give it to someone as a gift...

10:19 AM  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Ohhhhh....Poor Peg!!! My heart is breaking for you. I agree with whomever mentioned that you could certainly frog the sleeves back enough to make them shorter...it's such a lovely color on you and you did such beautiful work that I'd hate to see it frogged. Know that all of our knitterly hearts are going out to you!

1:26 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

ohhh Peg i know how you feel, get the project all done and nothing to show. :( It is a beautiful sweater but you definately want something you can wear after all that hard work. Put her aside for a while and hopefully she will call you soon.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting