Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, October 26, 2006

A Pattern I Like!

I showed you in a post the other day - one day is running into the next lately - the beautiful viscose that Jo sent me to encourage me (actually I wanted to put bribe with the dashes through the letters, but how do you do that, darned if I know) get started on my sweater for the Red Sweater KAL. Now I finally have a pattern that I think will be perfect with the beautiful yarn I have and here it is -

I found the pattern in a book I bought at the second hand book store and the book is called "Knit It Your Way" by Cynthia Yanok Wise. There are several patterns for sweaters that she has used two different yarns to make two very different sweaters. The interesting thing about the sweater I chose is that you knit two triangles - you know cast on 3 stitches, increase both sides until the triangle measures ? inches on the sides not on the needles and then hold the stitches on a stitch holder and knit the other triangle in the same way. Put all the stitches from both triangles on the needle and join in the middle while you increase on the sides and decrease in the middle. The back is the same as the front. To finish, you sew up the shoulder seams - measurement given for each size and also sew up the side seams, leaving an arm opening. In one version, she added beads and wore it as a summer top - it was done in variegated sherbet colours. The one I am knitting will not have beads - I do not think they would add anything to the sweater. I have a mid-calf length dressy dress that is sleeveless and black - this sweater will be something I can wear over the dress for the holiday season. I must also keep my eye out for a lovely black camisole and then I can wear it with a nice black skirt or pair of pants. Hate to knit something that maybe only gets worn once a year!

The nice thing about the book is that it costs $46.99 new and there was actually a sticker on it where the book store had charged $54.99 and I got it second hand for $14.49 I love a good bargain and the yarn was a gift - at least I am sure I will have more than a bit of difficulty getting Jo to accept money. Oh well, I am always happy to make a swap - I will send her what she cannot get in Ireland for what I can get here and send to her! I love to make up parcels for good friends and family!

6 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

That is a nice design and I think it will show off your lovely yarn well.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

The pattern is lovely and will suit the yarn perfectly.

To cross a word out you need to put two little <> tags before and after it, with s inside the first set and /s inside the second.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

That is a lovely pattern, Peg! I'm sure you will look beautiful, and very festive. I really like the design.

Thanks, Rain, for sharing your expertise - I'm going to go try that out! :0)

9:30 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Peg, my hubby just suggested to me a camping trip this summer at Miracle Beach. Could you refresh my memory as to the name and time of the art/fibre festival in your area? I remember you went to a lovely one, but can't recall when or what it exactly was. I thought about going to the one in Salt Spring, but we LOVE Miracle Beach, and wouldn't it be lovely to see each other? :0) You could show me your wonderful LYS?!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I thought I had left a comment last week but I guess it didn't show up! I think your yarn will look lovely in that pattern. You don't need beads with yarn like that, the yarn is pretty enough. Can't wait to see how it knits up.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

That's a pretty sweater.

You can do the strikethroughs by typing out strike inside <> and then /strike, also inside <>'s.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting