Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Progress from Day 2


I did add a little bit today (Day 3) but it is all mainly what I had completed by the end of Day 2! Remember I said that I would need to have 4 blue stitch markers and 5 orange! Well, can you see the 3 beautiful blue stitch markers (remember they signify the completion of 50 ridges)!

I had a few bloggers who were kindly willing to try and get me more yarn - thank you so much - knitters are just the best. I will use four balls for the skirt and that leaves me 9 for the rest of the coat/sweater. I have looked at how many stitches for the fronts/back and sleeves and I am sure I will have enough with a bit left over! Maybe I shouldn't have said that, it just might jinx the project!!

Also one blogger asked about a bit of sheen in the yarn. Yes, there is some sheen and I think it is from the polyester bit in the yarn. The yarn is 92%rayon,which is the less shiny, almost matte, part of the yarn and that little bit of sheen is likely from the 8% poly! It is not too bad to knit with, but you would not call it soft and it does split! Oh well, 3.5 balls down and only X to go!! I definitely get more done with all my other knitting put away and out of sight!

One thing I was wondering and perhaps someone can answer this question for me. The pattern called for knitting the sweater/coat on 4 mm needles, but I needed 5 mm needles to get gauge. Now I know it might be different if the knitting was controlled by measurements of inches or cm, but the measurements consist of counting the number of ridges! My question is - if you use larger needles, do you need more yardage? Just a question I had! I know that it takes a bit more yarn to wrap around the larger needle, but if you were using measurements of inches, wouldn't you require less rows to get an inch and would it all work out the same? Maybe it is something that I could ask on Knitters' Forum!

Anyway, back to the knitting. I did finish listening to "The Virgin Blue" and I really enjoyed the 'read'. Also listened to some podcasts from knitting and the radio. So far, my favourite knitting podcast is Cast On from Brenda Dayne or is it Dane from Wales!

2 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

I was speaking with a knitting freind last night and she says that Katrina isn't discontinued.

You can check the Patons website: http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=katrina

Also, what color are you using, is it Frost, or Glacier?

9:07 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

I wish I could help with the technical queries, but can only stand back and admire.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting