Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Antoinette, meet my fellow bloggers. Bloggers, here is Antoinette!

I really am pleased with this sweater. It was a joy to knit and a joy to wear. I have a summer dress on, as I wore her to a Beach Party that my DH's Rotary club had last evening!

I started this sweater about January 20th and it is knit from Rowan Cotton Rope and from the Rowan Knitting and Crochet Magazine Number 39. I really did not change anything in the pattern. I do, however, feel that Rowan patterns are for experienced knitters, as there is a lot left out 'between the lines'. I damp blocked it before stitching up the side seams, picked up along the front edges and back on a circular needle and then cast off in the knit way. You picked up for the collar on the fronts from the first neck cast off to the top of the neck front and knit about 14 rows of the pattern and held the knitting on the needles. After knitting both front collars, you seamed the shoulders and then knit along the right front, picked up along the neck cast off, knit the left collar and then knit about 22 rows of the pattern and cast off in pattern. I always wondered what 'cast off in pattern' meant, but I tried it and the collar lays perfectly flat! Must have done it correctly! This is a sweater I would probably knit again in a more summer like colour, but I love the black, even though it does not photograph well!



The yellow shrub in the background is Arnold's Promise Witchhazel! Also that is a stained glass hanging of wine being poured into a wine glass. My DH is big into wine, gives courses, tastings, etc., so it was gift from me on his 50th birthday! I see a few more things blooming in the garden, but today is Antoinette's Day!

7 Comments:

Blogger gail said...

Antoinette is lovely, as are you! Congratulations on your cancer free anniversary~

12:31 PM  
Blogger Martina said...

Beautiful Antoinette Stained glass is lovely too!

3:40 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

That is a cozy looking sweater and that collar is wonderful! You did a great job. Just reading those convoluted instructions made my head spin. I'm sure it'd be okay when actually knitting it, but it sure sounds confusing!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Very smart, Peg, and how well it suits you!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Beautiful Peg, beautiful Antoinette!
She does suit you so very well!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Antoinette turned out very nicely! I love Cotton Rope too. So fun to work with - nice texture, and works up pretty quickly.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Very elegant and stylish, Peg, you look great! :0)

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting