Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, January 29, 2007

An E-bay Virgin!

I must admit that I have gone to ebay, but have not worked up the courage to buy anything just yet. I did go looking for the Rowan Wool Cotton and I think I might buy some of it, but I want to finish this vest and see how it wears, before I commit to buying any more of the Wool Cotton! If any of you have had good luck with Ebay,I would be interested. I see on lots of blogs that people do buy yarn and although I try to patronize my LYS, sometimes it does not carry things that I want. I am knitting away with the 'violet' Rowan Wool Cotton, and I may have enough, but it is tiresome knitting with your fingers crossed!



I just wanted to share this photo of a 'prize' that I won on Saturday evening at a dinner we attended. At the end of the evening, we were told to look for a star on the back of our chair. I had one and that gave me the table centre piece! I photographed it here with a beautiful 'slump glass' plate with a dragon fly on it - a gift from a Rotary student we hosted. The figurine was made in Nova Scotia and is of an Acadian (Cajun) couple saying their goodbyes. I loved the couple from the start, as my DH and I said good bye many times because of his job. Now we are retired, so the good byes are for short periods of time and probably we have not had to spend more than two weeks at a time apart in about 12 years!

A few people commented on the mat that was hanging behind my head when I was wearing the raspberry cotton pullover.



Here is a full photo of the mat/rug! The caption on the border is "Bertha and Beulah Go To Dollar Day At Sally Ann". As anyone who has read this blog knows, I am a breast cancer survivor - of ten years next Wednesday, February 7.

When I was first in the battle against the cancer, I would awake at night and these 'voices' would go on and on in my head making me question things I could do nothing about, especially at 2:30 am. The questions had to do with my treatment, my prognosis, my handling the day to day of it all and #1 - would I make it through all this and live for at least a reasonable number of years. Of course, sleepless nights do not make for very happy days and my DH was at a loss sometimes as to what to say to me to make it better.

I finally hit on the idea of giving these voices a name - I am sorry if any of you are, or know, a 'Bertha' or a 'Beulah', but those are two names I don't really like, so that is the name I gave to the voices, because believe me one of them alone could not have pestered me that much - it had to be two of them!! So, if I awoke tired, my DH would comment that Bertha and Beulah must have visited. In time, I got scrappy with those two and told them what I thought of them and questioned what they thought they knew more than people who were trained to deal with cancer.

I truly think they were meant to be my 'guardian angels' but very new at the whole deal and had never met up with someone like me! Now, they are someone else's guardian angels and I have taught them well! So, the two heads on the outside of the mat are Bertha and Beulah when they visited me in the first months. The two in the centre are the same gals after I had put them in their place, but sent them to Sally Ann for the big dollar day sale, which here happens on the last Thursday of the month! Working through this mat was good for my soul and now I love the mat and sits near the computer! If you are a rug hooker, you frequent the dollar day sales to buy old woolen clothing to wash in hot water (I was felting before I really got back to knitting) and then it is cut into strips and hooked!

If Bertha and Beulah visit you, don't let them get away with their nagging - put them in their place! They certainly made me stronger, and I hope you have some gals in your life just like them!!

I think that I use garter stitch or stockinette knitting now to cleanse my soul! I love the rhythm of the needles, the throwing of the yarn, the click of the needles and the fact that the knitting 'grows' as I let go of stress! Knitting with bright colours also helps!

I know I divided the Bertha and Beulah story into many paragraphs, but I find on some blogs that reading very long paragraphs becomes difficult for my eyes! Just a comment!

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Hey Peg:

I buy on ebay all the time. Have not had a problem yet (knock wood) - the yarn for my last few projects has come from there. My rule of thumb is just to buy yarns you know - that way you aren't surprised by the texture, etc...

1:40 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I love that story about B&B. I have a judge in my head and he's quite the sourpuss. I've been working at saying goodbye to him, but perhaps instead I've got to transform him. I want him to be kinder and gentler. I wonder how I can do that?

You've definitely given me something to think about...

1:52 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

That's a fascinating story, Peg, and one we could all do well to learn from.
Have you read "Zen and the art of knitting" by Bernadette Murphy? It's worth a look.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

I buy on ebay a lot, just ask questions of the vendor if buying a yarn you don't know. I love Rowan Wool Cotton. I got one bad yarn on ebay, some New Zealand stuff on a cone but the vendor took it back...ciao

9:09 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Those white blossoms are stunning, Peg, simply beautiful, the dragonfly plate is also. Love the figurine, and your story.
Good ole B & B, great story there. Love the mat, what a great design and hook job! They certainly had themselves a good time, heh.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Martina said...

Good story!
I'm glad they have stayed away for a long time!
It is great you were able create something out of presense!

5:10 AM  
Blogger gwtreece said...

I buy on ebay all the time. I have even purchased bathroom faucets off ebay.

I agree with Lisa, stick with yarns you know.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

What a great story and I love the rug. My sis and I took a "traditional" rug hooking class when I was living in Calgary and we could do these things together. That is a very creative mat and wonderfully done...and good for you for putting both B & B and cancer in their place!!!:)

8:33 AM  
Blogger KimK said...

I loved that story, Peg, and congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting