Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, February 01, 2007

More Sale Yarn!



I had admired this Berroco Ultra Silk when it came to my LYS with a beautiful short sleeved summer sweater as a sample. The sweater was in this exact colour - I call it Sea Foam! Don't you think that sounds better than Colour 6106? I got 13 balls - I am a bit superstitious, but I was not sure what I wanted to make, so I took all the balls of this colour! I am thinking of a short sleeved summer top and have been perusing patterns here and there!

The yarn is on a little scrubbing board that I used when my children were smaller for hand scrubbing their socks and undies. They loved to play in the 'dirt' and their clothes showed it, but with a bar of orange/yellow "Sunlight" soap and some elbow grease, I could keep them nice and white! Also putting things out on frosty nights helped keep the diapers white! Now I really show my age. The disposable diapers that were about when my children were babies were awful and I had a washer and clothes line, so cloth diapers were what I used. Once the babies grew up and were trained, I had a wonderful supply of dusting cloths.

That little scrubbing board, and old box of "Sunlight" soap and my collection of sock dryers hang in my laundry room! I also have a photo of me as a baby (sitting on the ground playing - guess my children got that gene from me) and my Mom's laundry is blowing on the line behind me. There is also a photo of me in a sunsuit hanging my doll's clothes on the line - I was about six and had just learned to knit.

I spoke with a gal who is a knitter, and she was not impressed with silk and said it would 'sag'. It is a finely knitted tube, and not a stranded yarn, so I wonder if this will solve that problem. No matter, it feels and looks wonderful and so far that is okay with me. What was really okay with me was that it had been $13.99 a ball and it was on sale for $7.00 a ball. It is 98 yards or 90 metres per ball, but I will get a beautiful sweater for $91.00 instead of $182.00.

I finished off the vest made from the Rowan Wool Cotton and I had lots of yarn! Phew, but I dislike knitting with one eye on the needles and the other on the dwindling ball of yarn! I have ordered the buttons, so once they come, I will give a showing. It fits well, so that is also a big relief!

I had been lucky with other Rowan yarns at a sale early last fall. I some Rowan Cotton Rope for $2.00 a ball - originally this yarn had cost $10.99 a ball! I have 18 balls and the sweater calls for 15, so I probably will have enough to also make a summer bag. That makes my sweater - a Rowan pattern which I will show you when my DH and the camera come home - is from Rowan pattern book 39 and is called Antoinette! It is a long sleeve cropped cardigan sweater with a nice pattern on the sleeve cuffs and the large collar. We have cool evenings here in summer and so I think I will get a lot of wear from this sweater.

Do you think in my LYS that the gals refer to me as the "$2.00 bargain queen"? I do buy yarns at regular prices, but when I see a good buy on a quality yarn that I know, I grab it up!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

If you are the $2.00 Bargain Queen, then I am definately the $2.00 Super Sale Princess.

I buy stuff that is regular price quite often, but I WONT pass up a sale. We should be proud of all the awesome saving we are doing.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

The silk looks a gorgeous shade. I'd love to see some photos of your laundry with all those bits and pieces around, Peg.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

You can be proud of your bargain hunting - you come home with truly lovely yarns, at too good to pass up prices. What could be wrong with that? :0) Beautiful sea foam silk!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting