Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Here's to Living Well and Long!

Today is the day! My last cancer treatment, a mastectomy with no lymph node removal was done ten years ago today. I have a rare breast cancer. Its name is Cystosarcoma Phylloides - and that is the most exotic part of it - its name! It travels via the blood and not the lymph nodes - thus no lymph node removal. I must add that I had a partial mastectomy with a frozen section in December of 1996, so the surgeon knew what he was up against. The pathologists had recommended I have a further reduction of the breast or a full mastectomy with removal of the covering of the pectoral muscle. So, I would not buy partial insurance on my house, so I went for the mastectomy! I wore a prosthesis for about five years, and then I had a mastectomy on the remaining breast. My cancer does not respond to either chemo or radiation, so I was done with the first mastectomy.

I guess I am pretty comfortable in my skin, so I swim flat and hope that any woman or man who sees me will remember, when they have a loved one on this breast cancer journey, that life does go on and you can have a good quality of life. In fact, I think I have a better quality of life now than I did before cancer. It is rather sad, however, that sometimes we need to be slapped in the face with our mortality to really grasp how sweet life can be!

What many of you do not know, and probably do not want to know, is that a breast prosthesis costs about $500.00. Now I need two of them and I can think of a better use for $1,000.00 - wonder how much Cashmere and Silk I could buy with that. So I read an article in a national paper about a woman in Toronto, Canada who designed and knit 'tit bits' and they were for sale. I went to her web site, who does not have a web site, and found out that she was going to have the pattern on Knitty! I got the pattern, bought some beautiful yarn and made a pair - since then, I have made about five pair! I want to get some pink silk and a nice green and make a breast that looks like a piece of watermelon. I have a bit of black silk for the seeds.

I probably have given you all more info than you need or want, and you may think watermelon breasts is a bit much, but you know, if you are going to make it through this, you need to keep you sense of humour honed!!

Now, on to some yarn! This yarn is Canasta by Phildar. It is 79% rayon and 21% acrylic. It can split a bit, but I knit a brown lace cardi with it earlier and I just could not resist this colour for a summer top. I have 9 balls at 108 yards a ball. It was originally $7.99 a ball and I got it for $4.00 a ball. Now to find that perfect pattern.





I hope I did not bore you with my story of breast cancer, but all of us know someone in our circle of family and friends who has been touched by it. All I hope is that from reading of my journey that you know there is hope and life! Never complain about growing old! Think of the alternative!

10 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Peg - I am so very pleased that I am getting to "know" you- and the idea of watermelon titbits is making me giggle still!~ You GO GIRL!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Peg, I am so happy that you've made it to the big 1-0! I love the idea of your watermelon Tit Bits - I've often wondered if there was anyone here that would be open to the idea of using them. I would happily make them (or teach someone to make their own), if it would help.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Congrats on the big anniversary! Not too much sharing! It's nice of you to tell your story. Lots of people don't. We women folk need to share stories like that so that we are shell shocked when something like this occurs in our lives with family, friends or ourselves.

The watermelons sound hilarious! You should absoutely make them!

I bought a few skeins of the Canasta for a tank - mossy green coloured.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Faren said...

The watermelon tit bits made me giggle! And thanks for sharing your story.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Congratulations, Peg! It's great that you are 'telling the tale', but more importantly, that you are here to tell it. All good wishes to you.

3:39 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I was happy to read your success story. I use that same line about the alternative to growing old on my husband. :-)

5:50 AM  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

congratulations on the anniverary:) its been great getting to know you through your blog. look forward to seeing pics of the tit bits as you make them:)
amber in scotland

7:20 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I thought your post was very inspiring and it is so encouraging to hear that your quality of life has even improved since cancer. What a great story of your refusal to let things get you down.

7:30 AM  
Blogger margene said...

Thank you for sharing your story, Peg. It's wonderful that you are healthy and comfortable with who you are!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, congratulations and best wishes for making the big 10, I'm loving the watermelon tit bits, how funny, and you never, ever bore me.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting