Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thank Heavens - Bertha and Beulah made me wait!!

You see, I told you I turned B&B into my guardian angels. I had looked and looked on ebay for yarn, but something (or B&B) in the back of my head said to hold off for a bit. Well the bestest kind of email came this morning. My LYS was having a 7th anniversary sale - 10% - 70% off yarn and books. What is a knitter to do? Well, she dons her coat, grabs her purse and heads out to the LYS.

I got a real nice lot of yarn - in fact, two bags full! I will slowly show you the yarn and then you can drool along with me. This yarn is probably going to become an Elizabeth Zimmerman vest. The kind that knitorius had on her 22nd of January blog. It is called a rib warmer! I ordered the pattern sheet, along with a few other Elizabeth Zimmerman sheets, from Schoolhouse press. The yarn is Grignasco Tango and is 50% wool 25% Alpaca and 25% Rayon. It should have nice drape and each 50 gram ball has 175 metres or 191 yards. It was on for half price - so I got the last six b alls for $3.50 a ball - I think it is a good buy and I had admired it before. It has a nice heather look to it in a soft taupe shade with cream and a soft yellow here and there in the yarn. I think the EZ vest will knit up well with this yarn!

I cannot always wear wool, but this vest will be worn with one or two layers underneath and it is a colour that will go with everything I have in my closet.


I am currently blocking the bias vest from Sally Melville in the 'violet' Rowan Wool Cotton and I have just over 3/4 of a ball to pick up stitches around the armholes and knit four rows; stitches around the neck and then down the two fronts and again knit four rows! I am starting to feel a bit better about having enough yarn, but then I probably should not have said that - the knitting imps will probably get me for that.

"Bertha and Beulah, go after the knitting imps!! Go girls!

4 Comments:

Blogger CelticCastOn said...

yarn sale!! WOO HOOOO!
The yarn looks yummy, it will look great in a vest!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

I love Sally Melville's book, I have all three. Also, I use a lot of Rowan yarn, I have some lovely cotton/wool mix in my stash that I haven' found the right pattern for...ciao
http://rositta-sheknitstoo.blogspot.co m, this is my knitting blog, different from my opinion blog.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

The Rib Warmer will be wonderful in that yarn!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I love buying yarn and when it is on sale it makes it twice as sweet. How did you like knitting with the Rowan wool-cotton? That is one of theirs that I haven't tried yet.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting