Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Spring - if I call, will you come?





These are some signs of spring, finally, in my garden. The blue sky is looking down on a beautiful witch hazel that has just started to bloom! This shrub/tree has the most wonderful floral aroma on a sunny day and the little yellow 'spiders', which are the flowers, will grow longer in the days of sunshine that are forecast for the coming week!

The second photo is of the snowdrops - just about ready to bloom. You see I can only show these photos on my blog, as my friends and family that I write to each week really do not want me rubbing it in that our weather seems to have improved from the heavy winds and rains and snow that we have been having for the past couple of months.

Now I will show you my 'spring' mat - remember, I am also a hooker and a knitter! These funky sheep are actually from a cross stitch pattern and I love things to be slightly 'off' such as the picture flowing out into the border, or the border flowing into the picture! But, I know we will have some cool weather and look for the mittens and hot chocolate, so I will not put away this 'winter' mat for a bit yet!



















I will now show you a bit of knitting. This is the vest/sweater in the Rowan Wool Cotton - what a wonderful yarn to knit with and I hope to get more - especially if I can get it for the price this yarn was - $2.00 a ball marked down from $11.95 a ball. I was able to pick up a ball here and a ball there, but all from my LYS and all the same dyelot. Do any of you know of a place on the web to go and see if anyone might have a ball or two of a particular yarn that you need to finish a project? I know you can destash for cash, but I want to try and get another ball of this yarn, just in case!

8 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

You could try the Knitter's Review forums and make a post there to see if anyone might have any of the yarn you are looking for...or even be able to suggest where you might go (another site or something). Their link is http://knittersreview.com

5:50 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Your hooked rugs are wonderful. So full of energy and life! I think the sheep are just grand.

I have a friend who's a hooker and she's taught me to appreciate the effort that goes into such work.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love the rugs. They are very cute. I like your initials on each one, kinda in the corner. Very creative!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Martina said...

Ok...I dislike how I have to sign into blogger before I can comment! I will try again (sorry about the tiny rant!)
I Love the rug! You are very talented!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

I'm glad to see that it is spring somewhere, it is all snow all the time here in PA. Your mats are very cute. I have had a lot of luck on ebay finding yarn in certain dye-lots. I have a couple of ebay stores in the UK that I use and they have been very helpful. If you are interested just send me an email.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Your Spring mat is so cute! I love the sheepies.

I love Rowan's Cotton Wool, but no idea where to get a few skeins, other than WEBS or EBay.

10:45 AM  
Blogger randi K design said...

Your rugs are gogeous! I love the mittens, remind me of wet mittens on the floor after a day playing in the snow. I also totally love sheep. If it's for the wool, the meat or the look, I haven't really decided.... Have to tell you I come from a place whith lot and lots of sheep farmers.. Anything cuter than little lams in the spring?

5:21 AM  
Blogger Iris said...

I've always wanted to try my hand at rug hooking but you know how it goes. There are only so many things you can do.
The boys and I saw a witchhazel blooming in front of a library in Seattle and the bulbs are poking up through the soil in my parents yard.
Please continue sharing your spring garden pictures with us. It's good enough for me just to know that spring is happening somewhere out there.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting