Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Has this ever happened to you??



What you are seeing is my version of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Rib Warmer Vest! I was knitting on it last evening as I watched a murder mystery on TV, and you can see I have a problem. Is this problem fixable? I think it is. You can see the waste yarn on the two 'collars'. I plan to take out the waste yarn, frog to the row where I cast on 20 extra stitches, cast off where the 10 collar stitches were and then


carefully pick up 10 stitches at the other end and knit 10 rows of ridges and keep those stitches live! Will it work, I sure hope so, because I do not want to frog back to where I joined the two pieces together! I am enjoying the knit, and it was interesting to figure out what I was doing, but the error is strictly my own - nothing to do with EZ/s directions. Now I do admit that her directions are 'skimpy' by most new pattern standards, but I was so sure I knew exactly what I was doing. Oh well, I will probably knit this pattern again, and you can be sure I will not make this mistake again.


Below is my latest FO. It is a vest from the Sally Melville Book 2. I had ordered pewter button clasps for the closure, but with the slant on the right front, it made placement of the closures more than a little challenging. I remembered this shawl pin, took off the pewter clasps and now this will be my method of closure. I will save the button clasps for another project!!




6 Comments:

Blogger KimK said...

Good gravy, you are prolific! Two FOs in as many posts, and a third on its way. I think your idea for a fix is a good one -- It shouldn't show from the right side of the fabric. I'd hate to frog and re-knit the entire side, too.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

That is so nice, Peg, and the pin is perfect for it.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

OH I like that vest! The fact that blue is my favourite colour has nothing to do with it :) but it looks so wonderful on you with your gorgeous white hair!! Nice pin too, love love love it! Happy Valentine's Day!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

I have that vest on my to-do list, my friend made me some nice sweater pins just for that vest...ciao

8:58 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

You always look so sharp, Peg - I love your new vest! Lovely! :0)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Woman! Look at you go with the FOs!
Beautiful vest!

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting