Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

So you need a second sleeve!


I have now completed the first sleeve and moved on to number two! I had started to always knit the two sleeves at the same time, but I think this would have resulted in a 'nightmare' in this sweater! I liked the fact that I could try the sweater on and make the sleeve as long as needed! I have seen several sweaters lately on blogs that are knit from the top down and I am leaning to this more and more! However, it isn't going to happen until about five other items get on and then off the needles.

One thing this sweater has taught me is that it is a 'good thing' for me to concentrate on one knitted thing at a time. I do have two other things (a cotton pullover and a Clapotis) on the needles, but I have put them away for the time being and concentrated on my Not So Warm Coat! I realize that this is the type of knit that travels well -- perhaps not so well now that it is so 'large', but it is easy to knit in company! I have a few knits in mind, such as the Celtic Vest by Elsebeth Lavold that will need my undivided attention at times, so then I need a simple knit on the needles!

I have a friend expecting twins in April, and today Knitting Iris had a great little tutorial for the Rosebud sweater from Erika Knight's book 'simple knits for cherish babies' and I made a copy and put it in the book. It is a simple little cardigan and you can see all the beautiful colours that Iris knit Rosebud with and I love the pattern. She makes it easy by eliminating side seams and also seams on the side of the sleeve! That will be a perfect little knit to take when there is chatter and undivided attention is not so critical. Thinks Iris! I love baby sweatersthat are not knit in the traditional pastels. You see more and more baby clothes in lovely bright colours and I like colours on a baby!



I also photographed the beautiful scarf I made from the Cashmere that Marianne gifted to me. In fact, I am sitting here with it around my neck and it is so soft and warm! I knit the pattern from Susan of her Branching Out Scarf. This was my first 'lace' pattern and it still is wonderful to knit and just needs enough attention to not get boring! Susan has a pattern for a Forest Canopy shawl that is beautiful and perhaps I need to knit one! Perhaps not too, as I find that I rarely wear my shawls. Perhaps in the spring I will get more wear from the shawls! Spring, Oh, Spring! Where are you?

7 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

You are really moving on that thing. I look forward to seeing a modeling shot. I'll bet it looks even better in person, because I know that yarn has a subtle shimmer to it. Do you think you will have enough to finish it? I haven't had a chance to get down to Walmart yet to see if they are carrying that yarn.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

That scarf is beautiful, Peg! And the coat is progressing so quickly - you must have a great sense of satisfaction just now.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Your sweater is really coming along. I too do better when I knit on only one thing at a time but I can't always keep myself to that rule!

7:20 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

ohhh your gonna be done in no time!
you should model for us!!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your sweater is coming along nicely!!

Love your Branching Out Scarf. I did one up and finished it Dec. 31, and it was my last FO of 2006. I really liked the pattern. Mine was done in white (I have a pic of it on my blog, just need to scroll down to find it if you wanted to see it).

8:21 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Sweater looking great, you'll be finished in no time.
The photo with the scarf and tulips...just took my breath away, lovely, Peg, lovely.
I've been dreaming of lace, lots of lace.

3:15 PM  
Blogger gail said...

Your sweater looks great, and you are making speedy progresss. But, I forgot, why you are calling it "not so warm"--it looks plenty warm. What fun you will have wearing it!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting