Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Here is, Audrey, Bette's twin!This is the back or front of Audrey - they are both the same. You can see that I am doing the baby cables up the front and i did 3" of baby cables for the bottom of the sweater. The details around the armhole makes for a bit of interest and a change in knitting - both of which I enjoy! It is a cascading leaf pattern, but there was a mistake in the chart and I read it over and over - worst of all, I knit it over and over! What is it they say about stupidity - "It is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". After a few attempts, and a brief period of second guessing my skills, I just sat down and Googled the pattern - Hooray! I was not wrong. There was a mistake and once I had the correction in place I was on my way.
Here is a close up of the cascading leaves! It mentions in the pattern that you can do a single crochet around the edge of the strap, if you wish. I am thinking I will leave it, because sometimes it makes the edge more prominent than you would like! this picture is closer in colour to the true colour of the Cotton Glace!

We have something to go to on Tuesday evening, and I am wondering if I can finish Audrey so that she and Bette can make their debut! As I say, I have about 1/3 of the 'ribbing' done, so it should be possible.

Something I wonder about other knitters - when you have a pair of something - like socks, fronts for sweaters, etc. do you cast on immediately for the second one or finish one, sit in a bit of a glow and wait for another day to start the second? I have learned over time that it is best to at least cast on for the second one, ASAP after finishing the first. I can often procrastinate if I have to cast on and not do any knitting for some time - if I have cast on and I have 15 minutes to knit, I will sit and knit!

9 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Gorgeous Peg, I really like the falling leaves along the edge.
I for one tend to cast on right away ... and then bask in the glow of starting the second piece and not touch it for ages! This is something I am trying hard to overcome right now.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

I really love this, Peg, especially the cascading leaves. :0)

I'm the same as you - I have to cast on immediately for the second whatever, or it languishes.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Peg...your cardigan and shell are beautiful! I can't wait to see them united together :o) You are one fast knitter. I have a terrible problem with getting projects done if I don't cast on right away...and I mean right away. I think I have about 14 single socks all waiting for mates. The funny thing is...I really like every one of those socks and would love to be able to wear a PAIR. I am working on knitting the mates this summer, so far I'm not doing so good!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, she's a beauty for sure, just love the cascading leaves detail!
Beautiful knitting!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Looking good, Peg! Making a start to any project is the first 'hurdle', i.e. going from the thinking and planning and preparation to the actual doing is a big step, so yes, it's sensible to get going.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Shan said...

Cast on straight away for the second.

These two sweaters are beautiful. I particularly like Audrey.

Sorry - I haven't read your archives yet and maybe you covered this already, but was Hempathy the yarn ELavold chose for these? or did you consider using it? I ask because I was thinking of a Hempathy project myself.

10:15 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

OH Peg! I love it I love it!
With the cardi you just finished its going to be one heck of an outfit!!

1:22 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I cast on ASAP. Sometimes, casting on feels like the best part.

2:54 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Beautiful work Peg! The falling leaves are amazing! I can't wait to graduate to "lace" work.

I like to start the second sock while working on the first. I tag-team the two, 1st sock leg, 2nd sock leg, 1st sock heel, 2nd sock heel, and so on. I'm terrified of second sock (or second anything) syndrome, and reaching the end of one, with such a tiny bit of the second to finish is so exhilerating, that I usually end up casting on for the next pair of socks (both of them) as I finish each of them.

Keep those pics coming - they really are inspiring!

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting