Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

EZ - Another wonderful design!I just felt like having a bit of easy knitting while working on my Irish windbreaker, so cast on this soft cotton for a simple Elizabeth Zimmermann baby sweater. I like the gull stitch on this little cardi, but with this variegated yarn, the lace and colours did nothing for each other. The simple stockinette suited the yarn so much better. I came to the part in the pattern where you take off the stitches for the sleeves and then cast on stitches at the armhole and continue on down the body. I decided that two buttons were enough!

After I completed the body, I went back and with my dpns, I picked up stitches where I had cast on for the body and took the life stitches off the stitch holder and knit in the round down the little sleeve. SO - no seams to sew up! I don't know why I dislike sewing up my knitting, but I do. I had enough in that 'cake' of yarn to knit a little hat. This is in the FO box, and a baby will probably come along soon, or it can go in the Christmas hampers!

I have another 'cake' of the same yarn - I've lost the ball band, but I am sure if I took it in to my LYS they would tell me what it was. It is a beautiful soft cotton, but weaving in ends where there was a new ball added is still not easy in cotton!!

9 Comments:

Blogger SueJ said...

What a pretty little sweater & you are right it is a neat design. I have knitted two so far, for a friend who is due to have her baby anyday now, & I did one in self striping yarn in stocking stitch throughout as it was too 'busy' even in garter stitch! I am with you on the sewing up stuff as well. Its probably one of the reasons I like knitting socks!

12:11 AM  
Blogger margene said...

You are so inspiring. I'm cooking up some EZ knitting because of you and Vicki!

6:55 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

So cute!

BTW - Thanks for the pattern suggestions.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

What a lovely sweater set!!! The nes baby will look sweet. Good work!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

It is such a pretty pattern isn't it ? I am still spinning some yarn for EZ adult surprise !! Maybe I should have started with the childs first !! but then my daughter has already made one for our little one :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

I have yet to try Elizabeth Zimmerman knitting, but you're motivating me to go in that direction. I'm in love with the whole idea of not having to sew seams in my knitting.

The baby sweater set is lovely. Very pretty yarn!

1:12 PM  
Blogger carole said...

Yours is quite the most beautiful knitting I have ever seen, every garment is so lovely. Thank you for sharing.

3:00 PM  
Blogger LoriAngela said...

This is so much like the little ones I knit and the one I'm about to start. Maybe the kimono.

3:33 PM  
Blogger fiberkids said...

What a darling sweater. I am having difficulty locating the pattern. I don't see it on the Schoolhouse Press website. Can anyone tell me where to find it? Thanks so much!

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting