Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Knitting an Irish Wind Breaker!
This is showing further progress on the XO Vest! It is one of those knits where I set myself so many rows to do each day. I try to do 8 rows, but that is the two fronts and the back you see there ladies and gentlemen! If I knit more than that, my wrists ache and I don't want to do anything uncomfortable to my wrists - can't get new ones that I know of!

I had always thought of a windbreaker as a jacket made of nylon or some other material that was impenetrable by the wind. I think that is so, but this vest knit from Bainin on 4 mm is also a wind breaker. A raging gale off the northwest Pacific, and I will not feel even a cool breeze on my torso. It will be a nice warm vest when completed.

I have thought many a time about the Irish ladies who knit those beautiful Irish sweaters and vests. I would not get into an arm wrestling competition with them - not that I have ever arm wrestled with anyone, but this knitting makes for very strong wrists.

I love the pattern, but I have changed one thing on it. I am always amazed at how small the buttonholes are on some garments. A k2tog and yo makes for a very small button and with a nice sturdy vest like this, I do not want 'baby' buttons. I did it on the first buttonhole, but I am NOT, NOT, I repeat NOT, frogging back to change it. The remaining buttonholes are cast off 2 st. and then cast on 2 st the next row. I have decided to do this on more garments. I hate to see buttonholes too small and the buttons never lay nicely on the garment. If the buttonhole is a wee bit too large, I can always make it smaller!!

We continue on with the vest, but I am knitting a wee baby sweater from EZ's Knitter's Almanac. I need to get it in the mail this week, as Amanda came into the world on Friday at the bouncing weight of 11 lbs and 5 ozs. The hedgehog is already knit for her big sister, Cate. I am almost finished the first sleeve, so only have one more sleeve to go and then a little rolled brim hat with Icord on the top!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

OK my jaw dropped at the last line. 11 pounds plus?! Yowza!!

The vest is coming along nicely, and I agree with the button holes. I like that method of cast off 2, cast on 2 next row.

6:02 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Oh Peg. You just have to look up Elizabeth's one row button holes. You'll love them! You can cast of as many stitches as you want and get a neat tight edge, without having to cast on in the next row.

Glad to hear of the safe arrival! Congratulations to the whole family!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Your vest is looking great. Uhm... 11 pounds? Poor mama! My own tiny daughter just delivered a 9 lb 1 oz boy and it was a bit much. Wow.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Can't wait to see the vest when it's finished!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting