Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, August 27, 2007

A Few Projects off the Needles!

Here is my Lacy Prairie Shawl from Cheryl Oberle's "Folk Shawls". It appears to be a solid off white in the photo, but it is a grey and charcoal mix! That is on our front deck, and I am not a fan of painting railings, especially when you use cedar. I like the 'silvering' of cedar with age!This was a great project. It is the same on either side, and will make a nice cosy shawl for winter, or the cool evenings that we have been experiencing this summer. The pattern can be knit all in garter stitch, which I think would be great with a hand painted yarn! I like to let either the stitch or the yarn do the work, and here it is the stitch!

Below is a little shawl that comes from Knitting on the Net. It was a free pattern and came at just the right time.

I was at my LYS last week to show her my Pi Shawl and this yarn was on sale. It is Rowan Ribbon Twist. The content of the yarn is 70% wool, 25% acrylic and 5% polyamide. It is a 100g ball which only has 66 yds. The original cost of the yarn was $14.95, but I was lucky and got it for $3.75 a ball. The vest took four balls. The pattern shows a fringe, but this yarn would not be suitable for a fringe, so I did not make one. I will knit this pattern again, but I learned that the back is a bit large and the shoulder seams do not seam up well. Next time, I will do short rows on the shoulders and then leave the stitches live and do a three-needle bind off!

I have five balls of the same yarn in a deep burgundy with a blue and pink ribbon running through it! I will tuck them away for gifts for my GDs. Knitting with bulky is okay, but I would not want to make a big project. It is tiring for my hands, and I don't have any arthritis.

Now to put a few more hours into the Irish wind breaker!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I love the colour of the vest!!
Both are lovely knits, Peg. My you are quick.

8:27 PM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

That shawl really is lovely! Where did you get the pattern from?

9:11 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Hi Peg, I have to come down within a month to get yarn for Christmas presents. I think maybe towards the third week of September or so (once school routine is settled). I'll definately call you!!

8:26 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Cool! I don't think I'd have the chutzpa to finish that shawl. But it's beautiful!

9:16 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

Super shawl. Glad you like it, mine has already had some use on cooler evenings!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Hi Peg, you can reach me at rockswavesbeach with yahoo and ca.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

The shawl is just lovely Peg - I can't wait for cool weather so I can wrap up in mine while having my morning coffee in the gazebo. Still so hot here - 90's every day, not a drop of rain

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting