Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What to knit with gifted yarn!
We had a beautiful summer day today, thus the sleeveless dress and sandals. However, I had just knit the beret and scarf and wanted to get a picture to send to my DD and her family. They sent me the yarn from Germany for Mother's Day.

The yarn is Rowan Summer Tweed and contains 70% silk and 30% cotton. I had three skeins to work with and so it took me some time to decide just what I wanted to make. The beret is from IK Winter 2006 and this is the third time I have knit that pattern. I am happy with it! There was enough to knit a scarf, so again I went to a tried and true pattern. The scarf is the Shape It Scarf from Sally Melville's 'Book 1 - The Knit Stitch'. I don't have enough yarn left to make a pair of booties for a Barbie doll! I started both projects yesterday and finished the beret and started the scarf! Today I finished the scarf. I must admit that I did call a strike on cooking dinner, so my DH made us a delicious omelet! I just kept knitting!

I am very happy with both projects. The plant I am standing beside is a Brugsmania and it smells heavenly in the early evening and morning! As you can see from the back, the yarn is a nice gold tweed with wee flecks of orange and brown. I have been looking at a 'barn coat' from LL Bean, so perhaps I will get one in brown to get a lot more use from this combo!

11 Comments:

Blogger SueJ said...

Love the beret! Funnily enough I have just done a 'hat in a day' ready for the cool of autumn (Odessa pattern) but I do like a good beret. We had two whole days at the weekend that were 'summer clothes' weather but the wind is back again.

2:03 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

What a nice husband! You need to knit him something too.

I love it when you have just the right amount of yarn. No leftovers, but no shortages.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Mrs. J. I have also knit Odessa and I like it, but next time would make it a bit longer.
I agree with Laurie, it is so nice when the quantities work out just right!

8:44 AM  
Blogger KimK said...

What a wonderful set! That color says "autumn." Beautiful.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

This is a great set - I'm sure you'll get a lot of use from it this winter. :0) I have some of thie Summer Tweed put away for a sweater for myself one of these days!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

That Summer Tweed is delightfully soft yarn and it's beautiful knit up in your beret and scarf!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

A perfect hat for today and the week-end, I think :)

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Lovely use of the gift yarn, Peg. And that Prairie Shawl looks marvellous too - really must get round to that! Good luck with the Irish Windbreaker (yes, we are all born with extra strong wrists here, to make the twisting of stitches easier!)

8:59 AM  
Blogger Lucie said...

Hi Peg,
The beret and scarf make a great set. I have done the scarf myself, and must say that making a set is brilliant.
Long time reader, first time poster.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

What a great plant! I looked it up and found some info here:

http://www.gardenersnet.com/
flower/angeltrumpet.htm

Some pretty interesting stuff. :<)

It just looks so tropical.

And very nice knitting, Peg.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

What a pretty hat and scarf set! I love the colors of Summer Tweed!

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting