Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, February 19, 2007

My "Green" Vest!

I know, it is not green, but denim blue. The 'green' about it is the fact that I had bought a man's cotton sweater at Sally Ann, took it apart, wound the yarn onto my swift, soaked it and hung it to dry with a weight - that straightened it out very well, then balled it!! So it is 'green', in that it is recycled!! I used three strands and it knit up very well, I lost the 'content' tag from the recycled sweater, but I did remember it is cotton and it almost feels like it has a bit of silk in it, as it felt so much nicer than most cottons and has a beautiful drape to it.

Now to finish Rib Warmer #3 - all these vests for a gal who hardly wore vests before. This is just a neat pattern and it went so well while watching about three British murder mysteries back to back yesterday!!



Sorry about your having to turn you head to view the picture. My other HELP button, namely DH, is busy using his wood working tools, and turning it is beyond me - you probably needed a bit of exercise anyway!

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

I have many of the same sort of green garments myself! Only thing is, I haven't mastered the art of How did you hang it so it didn't overlap itself and refuse to dry....? Love the vest, in any case. You look lovely, as usual.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

The cotton does take a long time to dry, and it also feels 'damp' when it is really dry. I also put a fan in the laundry room - it helps to dry it and also helps dry my swim gear!
I miss seeing your green garments. I love it when I see a great sweater and bring it home and get it balled up - however, then the secret is to use it!!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Vests ( waistcoats to us ) are so useful ..no sleeves getting in the way. My best knit ever was made from a charity shop sweater un-wound by Jeff and washed and re-knitted as a jacket for Holly.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Thats a clever design and it looks very nice on you.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I love the idea of recycled yarn - was it fiddly work to take apart the original sweater?

You look wonderful in this one, too! :0)

12:12 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

I'm loving the green denim vest, so very pretty on you!
Perhaps was it mercerized cotton? it tends to be silkier.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Nice Vest! Did you change the neckline from the original pattern? I am going to knit that vest someday. I love EZ patterns.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting