Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, February 16, 2007

This is a winner!

When I first saw this vest on Knitorius blog in her January 2007 posts, I knew I wanted to make the vest. I ran the pattern to earth and ordered it from Schoolhouse Press! I read the pattern, scratched my head, read it again and thought this is not easy, but perhaps if I just get the needles and yarn in my hands and think it out carefully, I can have this vest. I was right. I have found that with other patterns - when I read them they are as clear as mud, but once I carefully work the pattern through 'step by step', the muddied waters clear and I get it.

I knit the vest on a 5mm circ needle and used Paton's Chunky! I know, I know, it is an acrylic, but that is a 7 letter word, not a 4 letter word. I was not sure of the yardage needed, and I love the colour! Enough said about my Elizabeth Zimmerman Rib Warmer Vest. I can see why the lady has become an icon in the North American knitting world.




This is now a favourite and, in fact, I have another on the needles from some reclaimed silk and cotton that was once a man's long sleeved sweater. It is a beautiful denim blue, so I know that I will get lots of wear from it. It is warm, easy to wear and in the two times I have worn this burnt orange vest, I have had at least three compliments. I even impressed the gals at the LYS!

I was writing to Jo about yarns and she has some beautiful Silk and Cashmere on ebay that she mentions would be perfect for a lace shawl. I have knit a few shawls, and love knitting lace, but you know for the effort, I do not get much wear! Now with a vest or a sweater, I get a lot of wear and so my question to Jo was whether I could double strand the Silk and Cashmere to get a weight that would be perfect for a sweater or vest. She was in agreement with me about how much we wear a shawl and yet we spend considerable time on knitting a shawl! Right now, vests are in with me!

Now I leave you to knit a bit on Cul de Sac. She is a demanding lady and cannot be knit while watching 'Silent Witness'. She wants your undivided attention, especially when you are making the Celtic knots! I am loving the pattern, however, and perhaps more patterns with Celtic knots will be in my future.

6 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

It looks great on you. I made a rib warmer vest a few years ago and still wear it. It's an inspired pattern.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Oh, lovely! I have the same experience with patterns. I read it and stare at it and scratch my head and generally imagine that it must be written in Swahili...and then I try to knit it and it makes perfect sense! I think you and I are maybe not visual learners....

1:21 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Lookin' good there chicky!

It's not just that you are making great garments that fit right, it's also how you wear them. You always look co-ordinated and vibrant. I think you'd do a great job with color work, given the way you pull an outfit together.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Peg, that colour does suit you beautifully...and what a great vest! I'll have to look into that pattern.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

(Grrrr... third time's a charm, maybe? Having a heck of a time leaving a comment for you!)

It looks GREAT, Peg! Mine is much smaller and close-fitting, I wear it as an extra layer under a coat or sweatshirt, and now I want one more like yours! There aren't many knits as simple and easy, yet fascinating and magical, are there?

6:47 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I can't get over all the great knits you've had flying off your needles lately! This is wonderful. :0)

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting