Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Who Said I Was On A Yarn Diet?

I was at my LYS yesterday. I am going away to NS in about 10 days, so I wanted to have some easy knitting to take along with me! How is my excuse for falling off the "Buy NO Yarn until 2007 Diet" sounding so far?

I am loving the little shrug from the pattern at my LYS, so I want to make a third one for myself to wear with a little black dress I own. The dress has a jacket, but there are times when I think it would be just the right thing to wear, if this little shrug were worn with it instead of the sheer jacket. Can you see the shrug peeking out of that ball of Garnstudio Cotton Viscose. I actually have five balls to make one shrug. It has a bit of sheen and is a beautiful ruby red colour. How could I walk out of the LYS without it? The yarn was $6.99 a ball, so I will have a beautiful shrug for less than $40.00 .


I always have to look at the mark-down baskets, and here was Rowan Wool/Cotton on for 40% off. I am sure it is the same dye lot as the one ball I got for $2.00, but at the moment I have misplaced that ball! It will show up, but when is the question! Anyway, instead of $11.49 a ball, it cost $6.90 a ball. It is a beautiful blue and I can always tuck it away for a gift once it is knit!



A week or so ago, I was in the LYS and they had a beautiful lace cardi in the window. I admired it - my LYS always has wonderful samples! Anyway, I found myself with a bag over my arm and the yarn and pattern for the cardi! The pattern looks cropped from the photo, but the gal is wearing jeans that start about two inches below her navel. At age 66, I am not into these type of jeans, so the sweater will fall about at my waist. I am knitting it with Phildar Canasta (Brillance discrete) in a colour that looks like deep coffee, but when it is in the light, it has a plum hue to it. It is a colour that could be worn all seasons!


So much for dieting. I found with food that I actually ate less and lost weight when I decided to stop dieting. Do you think this might work for yarn diets?

I just cannot say enough about my LYS. They are the most friendly, helpful and accomodating group of gals I have met. It is owned by a young gal, Jen, who is perhaps in her early 30s! Her Mom, Judy, is her right hand and the other gals are just as helpful. They always have great samples, and as soon as a new yarn comes in, they knit up a sample. They are great at showing you alternatives for a yarn choice. You know sometimes you will spend more on a project, but sometimes if you are not sure the recipient will enjoy it, you want to spend less. Also, the care of the yarn can be very important and they will help you with all these situations. The shop is small, but everything is nicely displayed. They cater to new knitters and those of us who have been knitting for much longer. They have a SnB twice a month and in the Fall, they intend to have a Yarn Sampler evening. They will feature the new yarns and some swatches on needles that you can knit up a yarn you might like to try. There is something about knitting with a well-behaved yarn that makes the process so much better. Sometimes I have put up with snarly, ill-behaved yarns, just because I loved the colour and/or design, but a well-behaved yarn is still my favourite. That should be a fun evening! You are always made to feel welcome and they ask about your projects and are delighted when you take in your projects! Here's a glass to my favourite LYS!

8 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Yes, it is a great LYS, and I too love all the samples.
Really like that cardigan......(I need more yarn like a hole in the head though).

1:05 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

That sounds like a great LYS- do they have a website??????

7:37 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Yes, Peg, do tell! Which LYS is this?

Love the idea of the red shrug - sounds elegant, but not too fancy :0)

8:49 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

ohhh that shrug is going to look like a million bucks with that rich colour! Can't wait to see it.
Hope you have fun in NS, too bad I wasn't closer or we could meet up.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

WOW - I love the cardigan. What gauge is it knot at? It woul dbe pretty in any colour, but I love the one you chose.

2:29 PM  
Blogger jennie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Yes, Peg, I'm joining Charity and Deb in demanding the name and location of this LYS! Remember I'm going to BE in your region next month and I want to meet some lovely similarly insane knitters while I'm there. What's the gorgeous red yarn for the shrug, by the way?
Jo
celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

2:57 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

The red is absolutely stunning.

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting