Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, November 13, 2006

These are what started me knitting again!



I got a call yesterday from a gal who had to have one of her implants removed (she is a breast cancer survivor too) and knew that I knit tit-bits. She is a beautiful quilter and crafter, but does not knit. She wondered if I knew anyone who would knit one for her, and so I said sure I would knit one! I dropped the purple/mauve sweater and in about two hours, I had three tit-bits made. I am wearing the pair shown in the photo and the other one is partly sewn together and she can stuff it as much or as little as she needs and then finish the seaming and it can be worn now - she had the surgery on Friday. These are so light weight, and one thing that I was not aware of until it happened to me is the fact that your nerves are all cut and most do not grow back, so your chest is numb! Not a problem in the big world, but something that a gal with a mastectomy has to learn! You can drop an earring back down your front, and not even know you have caught it in your bra! Is this a skill one needs, NO, but it is something we live with and it is not a problem. I hope she likes them, as they are knit with the softest cotton - Sari. I bought four balls on sale at $2.00 each and one ball made three tit-bits. They can cost about $65.00 each, but if you buy the silicone variety to fit in your bra, you are talking $450.00 or more. So, I think that is a good thing to knit for a friend or myself!


Here is the current sweater I am making from the Sally Melville Purl Book. It is a lovely soft Paton's Katrina - unfortunately, the yarn is now discontinued and it 92% rayon and 8% acrylic, so it does not cause me any itching! I love the colour and it will be a year round sweater for me. We do not get terribly cold here on Vancouver Island, so heavy scarves, hats and mittens do not get much of a work out! We really only have a few weeks of very warm weather in summer, so the sweater is loose around the midriff and it will be cool over pants or skirts in summer. In winter, I have a nice long sleeve pure silk undertop that makes me cozy, but adds no bulk. I also have the long silk pants that are great for our cool rainy days. It certainly beats the old navy blue bloomers and lyle stockings I used to wear as a child. Who said they were 'good old days'?

Those yellow plastic needles were my Mom's, so it makes me feel good to use them. I often would knit this on a circular needle, but there are times I like to think of my Mom - she would be 100, if she were alive, and I feel her closness when I work those needles. She was a beautiful needle woman, who did beautiful fine work and I thank her for passing on the love of hand work and also the skills. Anything other than knitting was called fancy work when I was young. Have you heard of this term before?

9 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The new sweater is coming along nicely, and the pattern looks like it is a nice one!

I've seen the tit-bits before on other blogs and knitting sites, and have wondered if they actually look real when worn - I'd be afraid that they wouldn't be big enough or the right shape or whatever...I don't need them, but I mean for the women who do. That was a great thing for you to knit one up for your friend. I'm sure she'll really appreciate it :o)

How wonderful that you can use your mom's old knitting needles. I have an old aluminum pair that my grandmother used to use (though I don't ever recalling her knitting, but Mom says she used to)...they aren't antiques or anything, but just a pair that was probably bought in the 70s. Still, it's nice to be able to use them.

5:12 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I went to the Listowel tent sale this summer and picked up 4 bags of Katrina deeply discounted. I sold 2 to my mother, but I still have 2 in white.

Are you sure it's discontinued, because I thought I'd seen some for sale at my local Walmart.

4:27 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

ohhh i have those yellow needles!! They are Moose's mum's, which in turn were HER mum's. She has a bucket of them as her mum had a mary maxim store.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

You are such a sweet, thoughtful woman! The tit-bits are really pretty, the colour is dazzling. I'm glad you have your Mom's knitting needles...and the love of handwork she passed down to you as well.
I just started the Chemo cap, Shedir, that's on Knitty, for a woman I don't know, she was diagnosed and has started treatment,(I don't know the particulars as to what kind of cancer) and seriously, there was just no hesitation, just started making it....she's a friend of a friend of my Mom's.....
I truly believe that the majority of the knitters in the world just do these things, as much a part of their identity as having hazel coloured eyes.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I love the silk "long underwear"! I have a set myself, and it's amazing to me what a difference such a thin layer can make.

I'm so glad you were able to help your friend - what a great gift you've given her! :0)

1:03 PM  
Blogger KimK said...

Dear Peg,
Yes, I understand about not wanting to comment before... that's how I've been with my sendee. Everything truly was wonderful, thank you again. And I do love your lace cardi. It's great to "meet" more knitbloggers and I'm looking forward to reading more and more of your posts.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Rain said...

What a lovely thing to be able to do for your friend.

I really like the stitch pattern for the sweater, it's going to be very pretty.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Ms. Knitingale said...

Love the cardi, love the tit-bits, too. You did such a lovely job on them! I've been wanting to try making some myself to donate....you've given me the gentle push I need to give it a shot.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Heidi, at London-Wul said...

Hi Peg, Glad your into the Sally Melville swing of things. I've just posted a prelim. to the Einstein knit-a-long here on the East Coast. You are our most distant participant! can't wait to get started!
Cheers,
Heidi

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting