Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, January 11, 2007

More Progress



Last evening, I completed the right front! I also bought some tulips to brighten up the day, but it did turn into a cold but sunny day, but still the tulips are beautiful!

Here is a photo of the tulips in a pitcher that belonged to my grandmother. It is one of the things I have from her that I enjoy using. It looks lovely with daffodils in it too, but you just cannot mix daffs and tulips in the same container of water, so this time it is the beautiful burgundy tulips!


Now back to the sweater, this morning I picked up the 112 stitches for the back and now it is 50 ridges to the finish! However, there are no buttonholes to remember, so it is easy knitting and I have a good book on my MP3. It is "Digging To America" by Anne Tyler. Funny how things sort of come together. The start of the book is about two little Chinese girls being adopted by two American families. Yesterday I was late getting to the pool (car doors frozen shut at 5:30 am)and there was a young Mom there with her beautiful little Chinese daughter. The little girl, Waylee, was three and a pure delight! She is learning to swim and I used to teach little ones to swim, so I gave the Mom some hints to work with and this little girl is such a little charmer and so well loved, I am sure things will progress well. Anyway, we got talking and Waylee told me that she is going to China next month to get her little sister, Avalee. They are not sisters by birth, but they are sisters at heart. They talked about diapers and teaching the baby to speak. I told Waylee that the first word she could teach Avalee was 'Mommy'. Funny how these things sort of happen at the same time!

Well, back to knitting. It is another cold, but sunny, day here today. That means that the birds are out in full force. One of the pots of greenery with the red berries that I had shown you before Christmas had a huge American Robin sitting in the middle of it this morning eating the berries. I do not mind, in fact, I really enjoy the birds coming for the seeds, suet and the shrubs with berries that I plant for them to eat in winter.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cornflower said...

Gorgeous tulips, Peg! I'd heard that you shouldn't put anything else in with daffs but I wasn't sure if it was correct. You should know!
Lovely story about your little Chinese friend and her soon-to-be sister.Maybe you'll meet them again and find out how it's all going.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

That is some great progress on the sweater! See? I have tulip envy. It's all relative and we all hang together.
What a charming story about the young Mom and her daughter, Waylee, and how she's going to go to China to get her little sister, so very touching, put a big smile on my face.
Although it is 65F here, the wind is blowing and the NW weather is due here saturday,sunday, and monday, with very cold temps. Brrrrrrr.
Happy Knitting, Peg!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Your tulips are so lovely - they're my favorite flower. And thanks for the comment on my Espresso Bracelet - hope they work out for you.

5:11 PM  
Blogger KimK said...

I loved hearing about the little girl's family going back to China to get her "sister." My husband's cousin did very much the same thing: she and her husband adopted one little girl, then went back a few years later to adopt her best friend. Now the older sister is a freshman at university!

9:48 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

This is a lovely story about your little Chinese friends. So sweet. :0)

You've made a huge amount of progress! I'm impressed!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting