Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Sunday, January 14, 2007

More Progress - Sleeves!

I have finished the body of the sweater and now I am working on the first sleeve. The beauty of this sleeve is that you start off with 102 stitches and work down to 42 stitches - usually it is the reverse! I like the idea of the stitches getting fewer, as it seems to be a great incentive to knit more and more!



I did lose a button - you know the beautiful pewter 'flowers'. Well, I emailed the yarn shop in Halifax, NS and sent a photo of the buttons (I still marvel at the internet and realize that it has made my life easier) and she mailed me back to say that YES they did have more buttons like mine. I ordered two buttons and will sew one in the side seam near the armhole - I love them and worry about losing one again! I think this works better than the putting the extra button in a safe place. I have a few things in safe places - so safe that I cannot find them!!



The above picture does not show the new place mat and serviette well, but the new dishes shine. There is a bread and butter plate under the bowl, so that is good. Many dish sets come now with a luncheon plate instead of a bread and butter plate. I am a dish collector! There it is out in the open. I saw these dishes yesterday in the grocery store and got eight place settings for just under $20.00. Now I love my red dishes and will use them always in December and for a few days around Valentine's Day, but these dishes help get rid of some of the winter blahs. I also got a set (just two for my DH and me) of chocolate brown place mats with sage green serviettes. The serviettes are actually dish clothes, but they wash up nicely and never need an iron!

There are some things in life that need quality and require a bit more cash, but there are things in life that I say just buy what you love and forget the fact it is "inexpensive". Spode these dishes are not, fun they certainly are and "inexpensive" they are as well. Inexpensive sounds better than cheap. Now I try to get the best quality of yarn I can afford, as it is easier to get a quality product when you start with quality ingredients! However, if it has a bit of acrylic in it and feels wonderful and has a terrific colour - remember ACRYLIC is not a four letter word.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

You are just flying with that sweater! You'll have it done in no time at all. So sorry about the button, you'll run across it someday and have yourself a good giggle.
I love those new dishes you found, I'm with you, that's a great value and I would have been hard put to pass them by.
Stay warm!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

'Inexpensive' is a good word! Your table must look lovely.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Sean Carter said...

Hey great work...it looks great...keep up the good work...and hey you can also visit my blog sometime and check out some unique stuff i've posted there!!!

1:18 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I can not believe how quickly the sweater is knitting up! Glad to hear you have more buttons on the way. :0)

Love those dishes!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

BTW, Peg, have you thought of attending the Knitting Retreat put on by Fun Knits? :0)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Cin said...

Amazing how much work you've put into that sweater in so short a time! And your idea about the buttons is great too - sort of like suit jackets - they always put extra buttons at the side seam.

Is your weather getting any better? We're expecting snow again this evening.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

Beautiful color, acrylic be darned! I've seen other nice designs that call for that Katrina yarn and will have to see and feel it in person now.
That coat is going to look great on you!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting