Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Five things to be grateful for today!

1) I am well, as is everyone in my family
2) The sun is shining and the birds are singing
3) I have some beautiful knitting to work on
4) I have a safe home that I share with a wonderful man
5) I have beautiful Friends - what would any of us do without them?


Can you believe it? I wrote in my blog about "Pause" by Katherine Gibson, who lives down the Island from me and she found my blog and sent a comment. How neat is that?

Well last night was my book club! There are nine gals in the club and seven got together last night to discuss a book - any book - and I, of course, discussed "Pause". It turned out that one gal had read the book and the other had purchased it to read! Not bad for a small group, but then the author also sent me an email! I, of course, had sent her an email, as she has a website - www.katerinegibson.com and I wanted to tell her that I was presenting her book last evening! She emailed me back!! I heard Katherine speak at a Women's Day a few years ago and I was impressed with her then, but her attention to detail is amazing. Another thing to be grateful for - people who take a moment to answer an email when it is not expected,

I emailed Katherine today and told her of the story of my book club friend, Barb, and her DH, Terry. Terry, aged 64 or so, is in a nursing home with ALS. Barb has used positive reinforcement with Terry for many a day - Terry was diagnosed about four years ago and has the slow developing form of ALS, but at this point, he cannot move any limbs, but can move his head, swallow and talk and, of course, has his wits! Anyway, Barb mentioned that sometimes we are not sure the guys in our lives get it when we try to find positive things in day-to-day occurrences. But, she realized it was working when she had taken a trip to Scotland, brought back a little plaid book and pencil for a ten year old girl that comes into the nursing home and plays computer games with Terry. When Terry gave his computer buddy the book, he told her that he wanted her to write five things in the book everyday that made her happy! Terry is at the point in life where a visit, a hot cup of coffee (albeit drunk through a straw), wind on his face, sunshine, a smile, his computer buddy showing up - all these small things are very gratifying.

When the chips are down, as they are for Terry, money and 'stuff' don't matter - it is the little things that matter!

Now I hope I remember this everyday and think about the feel of today's sun on my back as I sip my tea and wander through my garden! Also when I pick up my beautiful raspberry cotton sweater and knit; or when I read the blogs of other gals and realize what a wonderful group of women I have come to know through this amazing world of blogging.

5 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

Lovely. Thank you for reminding me to be grateful. I often get critical of my loved ones, particularly my husband, for all the things he doesn't do. I think that today, I will have take a moment to notice all the lovely things that he does do.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Thanks for this beautiful post !
This morning, when I awake, I say to me that Iwill notice all the day long these little thinks which can change our lives if we take the time to notice them ! Sorry for my bad english (I'm french), but I prefer bad english than no sharing !
I hope you too

11:48 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Beautiful post.
I'm with you all the way, it's always been the little things that are so huge in our lives.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Hi Annie: Just wish my French were as good as your English. My husband and son are bilingual - French/English and now my daughter and granddaughters are becoming bilingual - German/English.
You are right, it is about sharing. I tried to find your blog, but guess you don't have one. Please do visit again.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

It's always good to remember how blessed most of us are isn't it? Sometimes the people that have the least put me to shame!

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting