Wool in my soup

I am a 67 year-old grandmother living on Vancouver Island. I have crocheted, cross-stitched and rug hooked, but I always had yarn on needles. Recently knitting has become my primary hobby!

Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, September 10, 2007

Knitting - wish there were more hours in some days!

I finally knit up the first skein of Sea Silk that I bought while visiting Nova Scotia a year ago. The IK Summer 2007 had a wonderful pattern designed by Amy R. Singer and she called it Montego Bay Scarf. Since I was at Oak Island in NS for my nursing school reunion last year, it is my Oak Island Treasure Scarf!

I have about 2 yards of yarn left, so that is good use of a skein of a wonderful souvenir yarn and I know I will get lots of wear from it! The Sea Silk was just so wonderful to knit with and I am so happy that I have three more skeins in my stash. One skein is a deep raspberry with only a small amount of variegation in darker shades of raspberry. The other two skeins are a subtle variegated cream and I think they will become a shawl!


We are having eight people in for lunch on Wednesday, so I got out my pans and made some Peanut Butter Cookies today. As I was making them, I wondered where the cross-hatching with a fork ever came about - my Mom always did it that way, and I know many others do too! I did not roll the cookies in balls, just used my little scoop and thus the ragged edges, but my DH says they are delicious! I don't eat sweets, but I love to bake.

I did make some banana and oatmeal muffins that I can eat. The round cookie jar sitting behind them was around when I was a little girl. In fact, we lived in an older home that always had mice come in the cellar in the fall. My Mom had told me to stay away from the cookies, but I thought she would never hear me pull out the jar and just have one - now would she? Well, I carefully start to pull the jar forward and a little grey mouse scampered out from behind. My scream gave me away, and my Mom caught me in the act. When Mom asked me if there were any things from our home that I wanted, I asked for the cookie jar, the honey dish and two little porcelain rabbits that have openings in their backs and can hold water, so they get tiny blossoms in them, especially in the spring. Memories - money is nice, but memories last forever!


I have been busy tidying the garden - don't want the company on Wednesday to think I am an untidy gardener! Anyway, I picked these cosmos - I think they are one of my favourite flowers, along with lilies and roses! They are such a simple flower and they always make me smile!

11 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

Gee, that's a beautiful picture, Peg.

What is sea silk??

7:39 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

The scarf is amazing, Peg! Very pretty. :0)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Beautiful scarf, beautiful cookies and beautiful flowers : a nice manner to begin a day for me ! Thanks

11:29 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Beautiful scarf!
Ahh, peanut butter cookies! and I especially love them with the ragged jagged edged and yes, our family bakers have always done the crisscross with the fork and I've often wondered 'why'. How this was started...they look delicious!
Love the little cosmos also, so bright and cheery.

6:53 AM  
Blogger SueJ said...

What a pretty scarf!

9:28 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

That's a pretty scarf. Did it take you long to make?

I'd ordered a skein of sea silk in April and it got lost in the mail. Well, it just showed up on my doorway yesterday! So now I'm looking for one skien patterns.

You're lucky to have three more skiens. What about a cream shawl with raspberry edging? Sounds like dessert!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

I love peanut butter cookies! (And yes, we make the criss-crosses, too).
Beautiful scarf and beautiful flowers!

5:46 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

They're just not real peanut butter cookies unless they're forked on top.

I love Cosmos, especially in September and if we're lucky October.

Might be going to Cumberland next week, will let you know!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Lovely memories of things cherished in childhood, Peg. Thanks for sharing them.

3:02 PM  
Blogger gail said...

Oh, yum! Peanut butter cookies and fresh flowers. And, your lovely scarf. I made the same scarf, without the fringe. Made it in cotton for my Denver sister. She loved it. Now I must make one for myself.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We always dipped the fork into chocolate syrup before crisscrossing the cookie dough.
Brings back memories. Thanks.
Janice in TN

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting